Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sparring with Arlene

Second Sparring class, this past Friday.

Arlene and I are so new, we are not mixed in with the regular class. Last time we went, Sara coached us and she dummied for us, alternating rounds.

This week, after Mikki showing us how to put Arlenes face gear together, and and Jeff helped us get geared up he sent out out to the floor and told us "Arlene, you strike and Laura, you defend. Just jabs". Arlene proceeded to nail me with a couple of right crosses while Jeff hollered from the side of the mat: JUST JABS. Arlene was striking, and I was just defending. Of course, Arlene never had the lessons on Jabs vs Crosses with 1, 2, 3 and 4 combos shouted out by Bas Rutten, so Mikki gave her a cliffs notes version while Jeff helped me straighten my face gear.

Went back in for another round of just JABS from Arlene, then next round, I jabbed while Arlene defended. Then we were both Just Jabbing. Next round Jeff had both of us using both hands. Arlene is much taller and has a reach that is basically very "challenging" for me to say the least. I was really frustrated because I just did not feel I could get out of the way of her Jab and move fast enough to hit her. I know I got a couple good ones in but mostly I felt like I was constantly just defending her Jab and taking an occasional right straight directly to the face.
Also I did not have my glasses on, and my head gear kept slipping down obcuring my already handicapped vision. I occasionally had to push the mask up with my glove and got clobbered in the lull.

I guess we went about 4 more rounds? Not sure. But when Jeff called time I had just told Arlene, "I'm done with you!" and had practically begged her for mercy. This upset poor Arlene so I promised never EVER to do that to her again. LOL.

Jeff just gave me a pep talk as I wiped my tears of frustration, "Laura, when I started sparring, I had instructor Lee as my partner and I spent the first 6 months [um I could be exaggerating the no of months -k ] getting hit in the face. You'll practice, and you'll learn to bob and weave and get inside. "

I know I will but dang!

We are so going to keep doing this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home